Certain circumstances are beyond our control and are not covered by this guarantee. Please note that we cannot be responsible
No Liability for Errors
Print on Demand is not liable for errors in a final product caused by any of the following reasons:
- Spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors
- Low resolution or low quality graphics and images
- Damaged fonts
- Transparency issues
- Overprint issues
- Artwork files that are not created following our specifications
- Variances in color from the conversion of Pantone or RGB colors to CMYK
- Errors in user-selected options such as size, quantity, paper and finish
- Duplicate orders submitted by the User
- Incorrect files uploaded
- Incorrect file orientation
- Cracking on folds
- Cutting variances
- Incorrect or undeliverable shipping address
- Damage to products after delivery to User
- User is responsible for reviewing their files and correcting any issues prior to placing the order.
Material Submission and Production
- Print ready digital files to POD specifications should always be supplied to give the best possible print result. POD printing is a CMYK process and all RGB and Pantone should be converted to CMYK. CMYK colour printing differs from offset printing processes that use prepared inks. CMYK colour printing also differs from monitors that display Red, Green & Blue (RGB). Consequently, a colour defined and displayed in the RGB colour space (i.e. your computer monitor) can look quite different than one defined and displayed in the CMYK colour space. The best way to view your colour is to order a proof. Due to our high volume printing we cannot manipulate any colour settings on files submitted to try and match traditional offset printing.
- POD will reproduce color from submitted print-ready files as closely as possible, but cannot exactly match color and density (as viewed
in a 5000K light booth). Because of inherent limitations with the printing process, as well as neighboring image ink requirements, the
accuracy of color reproduction is not guaranteed. By placing an order with POD, you agree to this limitation. We will try our best to match
the gradient density of each color, but we accept no responsibility for color variations between submitted files and the final printed piece.
Under no circumstances will a reprint be honored for color variations that have occurred during the printing process. We are not
liable for color matching or ink density on screen proofs that you approve. Screen proofs will predict design layout, text accuracy,
image proportion and placement, but not color or density. Application of UV coating may effect or change the appearance of the
printed colors. We are not liable for the final color appearance of a UV coated product.
- Interior content for black-and-white titles should be one colour black.
- Colour content that is submitted within a black-and-white title will be reproduced as black-and-white unless notified as colour in
- On occasion it may become necessary to print mono files on colour capable devices, therefore files which must be printed as mono must be supplied as such.
- Text files: these should be set to size with crops marks and bleed where applicable. Your PDF should be one print file set one page to view (no printer spreads).
- Cover files should be one combined file (back, spine and front) with 3mm bleed.
- File naming – where possible text files should be named (ISBN)-text.pdf
- File naming – where possible cover files should be named (ISBN)-cover.pdf
- Text files: pagination should be correct and no pages missing
- POD uses multiple print engines which print in page sections. This means if a publication’s page count is not divisible by the appropriate number, extra blank pages will be added at the time of binding. The number of blank pages added at the end of the book will range between 1 and 7 depending on the finished size of the book.
- Your publications cover must be supplied with a barcode containing the ISBN with which the title has been added to our system. If none is present, POD may add an EAN barcode to the last page of the book. This is required for production workflow information and matching.
- Spine text is allowed for perfect bound, case bound, and dust jacket books with 48 pages or more. Under 48 pages no spine text is allowed and books will be saddle-stitched (2 wires).
- The spine width of Perfect bound books must be between 4mm and 60mm.
- The spine width of the text pages of a Case bound books must be between 5mm and 60mm.
- The spine width of Wire and Spiral bound books must not exceed 45mm.
- Foil blocking is quoted in maximum areas of 150 x 57mm per block. Any larger sizes will need to be quoted separately. The position of foil blocks on the cover is subject to a 10% variation across the job. High coverage foil-blocked areas are likely to reduce the consistency of the foil being applied. When applied to a textured surface the solidity of a foil blocked area may not be consistently achieved, leaving some of the texture visible through the foil, the chances of the solidity of foil being achieved and maintained reduces as the size and total coverage of the image area increases.
- Covers with solid deep colours (for example but not limited to: black, purple), have a tendency to accentuate minor scuffs and scratches on laminated covers. The Company has put every effort into reducing such marks during the production process but for the best results recommend using a non-scuff velvet laminate which can be used upon request.
- Spines – our binding machines work to bind tolerances and so you should avoid where possible spine designs with a different colour to the front and back covers or highly defined lines as such designs can accentuate such variances. You may see a degree of spine variation due to papers and paper bulk used in the manufacturing process. Spines should be set to width using our online spine calculator.
- Text printing – due to the nature of the digital print process and inkjet technology some single pixel thin lines may become visible, especially in high coverage areas such as images and graphs.
- All proofs are supplied un-laminated unless otherwise requested.
- Each revision file that is sent to POD is subject to a revision file charge. If the title is in our retail model and has open orders against it the revisions will be completed after those open orders are processed. Please contact your account manager for current revision charges.
- It is recommended that density in a file not exceed 240 percent CMYK total value. Based on overall coverage and total density in a file, titles with higher than recommended density settings most often process and print successfully.
- If a file encounters issues during processing or printing, POD will require a corrected file from the customer in order to continue processing or printing any current or future orders.
- Text pages may be printed on either electrostatic or inkjet devices at the discretion of the Company.
- All foil blocking plates will be disposed of upon completion of your job, unless a request to keep them is received.
- Any original media (discs, pictures, slides, proofs, etc.) are non-returnable and become our property unless pre-arrangements are made. Preferred file type is Adobe PDF. Acceptable applications for Mac & PC include (but are not limited to) Quark Xpress, Adobe PageMaker, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe PDF. Additional charges may apply if furnished media are incompatible with our software.
- We cannot guarantee consistent results if files are generated by other applications like Microsoft Publisher. For best results, all rasterized files should be converted to CYMK. All fonts must be included or embedded. Images must be flattened with CMYK in TIFF or EPS format. Turnaround time begins after receipt of final proof approval or waive of a proof. Final approval will only be accepted in written format. No verbal approvals will be accepted.
- If requested, an online proof will be available for your review after we have received your files for print. Actual time will vary depending on our current workload. Jobs with proof requests will not be sent to press without your approval unless the proof approval is explicitly waived. It is the User’s responsibility to log in to their account and check on their proof. We are not liable for delays in the order caused by User’s non-approval of the proof. An online proof is by no means an accurate color reproduction of your final printed piece but is the final opportunity for you to check the layout, bleeds, crops and final text. Electronic proofs do not show transparency and over print issues. Nor do they show color change from RGB or Pantone to CMYK. The proof must be treated as independent from the original submitted file and thoroughly reviewed prior to approval. It should be checked against the original file for possible errors in layout, copy, spacing, punctuation or image placement. User is fully responsible for all that is contained in the final approved proof. POD offers hard copy proofs which show reasonable likeness to the final printed pieces. Such proofs are recommended for color-critical art and must be requested by the User when the print order is made. Hard copy proofs are printed on a substrate different from the actual paper stock and while its main purpose is to show color, variations may occur depending on the finish selected (AQ, matte, UV) for the final print job. We do not offer hard copy proofs for art that would be printed on uncoated paper. The request for a hard copy proof may involve an additional fee and would extend the amount of time needed to complete the job. For orders where a hard copy proof has been requested, the approval must be received by UPrinting.com on or before our published cut-off times. We will make every effort to match colors in production when a hard copy proof is requested. However, it is the User’s responsibility to determine if they need a hard copy proof with their print order.
Printing Turnaround Time
- Printing turnaround time begins after we have received your print-ready files, approval for your proof and full payment for your order. If you have chosen to waive your proof approval, printing turnaround time begins after we have received your print-ready files and full payment for your order. For orders that do not have complete digital source files, or have files that are not print-ready, printing turnaround time will begin after we receive acceptable print-ready files regardless of when payment was made.
- >Quality of Printing and Binding: POD strives for unsurpassed quality in everything it makes. Inherent in the printing and binding process is the mechanical nature of manufacturing. A mechanical process utilizing paper that contracts and expands with changes in humidity, thickness and temperature guarantees that books will at times have minor flaws such as hickeys, dents, bends, frayed edges, roller marks, scratches, white spots, ink spots, bubbles, broken type, marking, ghosting of images, variation in foil stamping and embossing, colour variation, etc. In almost all cases, these minor flaws do not affect the readability (or enjoyment) of the book by the end consumer. POD will not provide invoice credits and reprints when minor imperfections appear as a result of the high speed mechanical nature of printing and binding. Errors that may result in invoice credits or rework would include missing pages, missing images, or pages in the incorrect order.
- Waviness of Text Blocks / Cover Warp / Cover Curl: Paper books are affected by changes in humidity and temperature. POD’s printing plant are humidity and temperature controlled to minimize waviness and cover warp/curl. When books leave any controlled environment they will react to different humidity and temperature levels (higher or lower). Humidity and or temperature changes will cause paper to absorb moisture or lose moisture and at times result in waviness in the book block and/or endsheets, hardcover warp, or softcover curl. POD can not control this environmental phenomenon and subsequently can not warrant that its books will not at times exhibit waviness in the book block and/or endsheets, hardcover warp, or softcover curl. Specifically, POD will not compensate customers or provide a reprint when books or components of the books exhibit waviness.
- Alterations or Corrections: Client alterations include all work performed in addition to the specifications outlined in the quotation. POD will charge for alterations and corrections at current rates.